The Smoking Gun has obtained a memo written by an ABC executive sent out to ABC affiliates, chronicling the tragic stories that Extreme Makeover: Home Edition is hoping to feature for new episodes this fall. Some tragedies the show is searching for:
• Extraordinary Mom/Dad recently diagnosed with ALS
• Family who has a child w/Progeria (aka ‘little old man disease’)
• Family with a kid who can’t feel physical pain (*tvaddict note: wouldn’t that make him a superhero, just like UNBREAKABLE, that would be awesome!)
• Family suffering from Drunk Driving tragedy
• Victims of hate crime in own home. Family’s house victim of arson or severely vandalized
This story is making ‘headlines’ throughout North America. My question: Why is anyone suprised by this? Extreme Makeover only works because I pretty much can’t watch the show without a box of kleenex by my side. Sure the producers are completely exploiting family tragedy – but the family’s life is truly transformed, have you seen how incredible the renovated houses are? It really is a win/win situation for all.