“Always a bridesmaid…”
Did you ever find yourself watching a show and thinking “Okay, enough with the main character, give me more of that secondary story!!!”?
I never noticed it more than I did last season as I often begged for Summer Roberts scenes, as opposed to Marissa Cooper scenes on The O.C. Already, season 4 of The O.C. is, as I’ve said, levels above where Season 3 was, and I truly believe it’s because they’re giving Rachel Bilson the chance to take center stage since they axed Mischa Barton.
It gets me thinking – what other “second-bananas” would I love to see take the reins and run with the show?
1. Grey’s Anatomy - more often than not, I’m completely annoyed by Meredith Grey. She whines. She cries. She thinks the world revolves around her, and considering the title of the show, it probably does a little bit. But I would much rather see the hospital through Cristina Yang’s eyes. Or maybe George O’Malley takes center stage and the show is about him? Nothing about Izzie Stevens bothers me, not even her falling out of love with Alex to fall in love with Denny. Spend more time devoted to her! And most especially, I would love to spend an entire episode exploring the friendship of Addison and Dr. Bailey!
2. Gilmore Girls – I’m over the Girls….I’m not really jumping on the “new writers are doing a good job” bandwagon. Yes, I’m enjoying the show, but it feels like a different show than it’s always been, and I’m not sure I’m okay with that. Short story shorter – I would much rather us spend a weekly episode completely devoted to Paris Gellar or Emily Gilmore. Or Paris Gellar AND Emily Gilmore in a bunch of scenes together. Just a thought.
3. One Tree Hill – I know that the show is about the brothers Scott, but I would definitely be okay if Chad Michael Murray disappeared off the face of the planet and Bethany Joy Galeotta and Sophia Bush can take over! Sure, there wouldn’t be many stories that could be told, with CMM gone, because everything revolves around CMM, but seriously…my life would be happier!
4. Desperate Housewives - it’s been said since day one that the show was “Teri Hatcher’s comeback” and that this show was tailor made for her. That said, she is one of the most annoying people on the planet. Susan Meyer is my least favorite character on primetime television (and that’s saying a lot in a world where the Camden Family still exists). If Wisteria Lane lost Ms. Meyer to a dangerous whatever-that-comes-along, I wouldn’t be upset, because lord knows Felicity Huffman and Marcia Cross would rule that place!
5. Men In Trees - I’m certainly not Anne Heche’s number 1 fan. If Marin Frist left Elmo, I would be fine with that! I love Patrick Bachelor, and I love love love love love James Tupper (Jack). The whole town of crazies is just the greatest batch of local townspeople since Everwood, CO graced our screens!
What about you – what shows would you rather watch without the “main” characters?
In Other News
I have to say, Battlestar Galactica pulled out another one! This show is so depressing and dark, but I love it. I don’t ever miss an episode. I watch them 2 to 3 times after they air, and find something new to love each time. The characters, the stories, they draw me in!
It’s a shame that Veronica Mars took a beating in the ratings last week, because I really think it was a fabulous episode. Right back on track – back to the great VM that we all know and love! I love Logan and Veronica together, but I also love them apart, because I really want them back to the snarky bickering not-couple of the days of old!
Brothers and Sisters is quickly becoming my favorite new show. There really isn’t a person in the cast that I don’t like, or believe in their roles, and I’m loving the route that they’ve decided to take. Every time I see Treat Williams on the screen, I can’t help but say “Oh Andy Brown”
Okay that’s it for this short week! What are you watching this week? What are you most looking forward to?