The legends defeated Vandal Savage at the end of LEGEND OF TOMORROW’s first season. With their immortal enemy defeated, Kendra and Connor headed off together to live their lives free of Savage, while the others boarded the Waverider to help Rip protect the timeline now that the Time Masters have been defeated.
LEGENDS OF TOMORROW stars Arthur Darvill, Brandon Roth, Caity Lotz, Victor Garber, Franz Drameh, and Dominic Purcell — along with executive producers Marc Guggenheim and Phil Klemmer — took to the stage at San Diego Comic-Con to tease what’s coming up in season 2. Newcomers to the cast Nick Zano (who plays Dr. Nate Heywood) and Maisie Richardson-Sellers (who plays Vixen) also joined the panel. Everyone who was on the panel today was confirmed as the full line-up for season 2.
The big cliffhanger at the end of season 1 was the appearance of a member of the Justice Society of America (JSA). The JSA is about the golden-age generation of superheroes, Klemmer said. For the team, it’s about the current generation meeting the older generation.
Which JSA members will we see in season 2 of LEGENDS OF TOMORROW? Guggenheim teased that Dr. Midnight, Stargirl, Obsidian, Commander Steel (not to be confused with Citizen Steel) and Vixen will be making an appearance.
- We will see new and old characters “right out of the gate” in season 2. Stephen Amell will be appearing as Mayor Oliver Queen at the beginning of the LEGENDS OF TOMORROW season premiere. Fans will also see Damian Darhk in LEGENDS in the 1920s.
- Jonah Hex will be returning in episode 2.06.
- Rory will be even more outrageous in season 2, according to Purcell. Particularly now that the looming shadow of Snart is gone and no longer reigning him in.
- Darvill says that Rip is like a disappointed parent with the team. But we get a “big twist” early on that “changes everything” for him.
- Zano says that Nate and Sara will clash a bit. On the flip side, Vixen will be getting along with Sara and clashing with Rory.
- The question for season 2 is “if the Legends don’t belong here, where they do belong?” They’re almost “victims of their own success” after their achievements at the end of season 1, Klemmer says. So what is next for them? By destroying the Time Masters, time has been left unguarded. So now time criminals are running rampant and the Legends are in charge of guarding “all of history”.
- What big threats will the Legends be facing this year? In the pilot last year we knew everything about the big threat. Season 2 is more about little mysteries, Klemmer said. Instead of one bad guy, there will be multiple bad guys. The team will be responsible for fixing “aberrations” — people who are messing with the fabric of time.
- If you’re going to have a team of superheroes, you need a team of super villains. So they’re going to start with Matt Letscher as Eobard Thawne (who will be a series regular) and also Damian Darhk — who are two members of the new “Legion of Doom”. Sara in particular will be eager to get her hands on Darhk in order to get her revenge for Laurel’s death.
- Wentworth Miller will be returning as Captain Cold, thanks to time travel! He’ll be part of the Legion of Doom.
- John Barrowman made a surprise appearance at the panel, which means Malcolm Meryln will also be part of the Legion of Doom.
- Guggenheim says that we still haven’t seen the full story of the Hawks yet, so while there’s no set story right now, chances are they will revisit the characters in the future.
LEGENDS OF TOMORROW will return for season 2 on Thursday, October 13 at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT on The CW.