Now one of the longest-running series in the United States, SUPERNATURAL will be entering its fourteenth season beginning in October 2018. If you haven’t caught up on season 13 yet — or you’re just a super-fan of the series — you’re going to want to invest in the SUPERNATURAL season 13 DVD or Blu-ray box set, which is out today (September 4).
The thirteenth season of SUPERNATURAL began with the introduction of Jack (Lucifer’s son). The question of whether the boy — who was born as a fully-formed adult — would become evil played out across season 13. Under the tutelage of the Winchester brothers, however, he wanted to become a force for good. The brothers were also dealing with the loss of both Castiel and Mary, both of whom they believed to be dead. But Castiel returned and Sam and Dean also learned that their mother didn’t die, she was merely trapped in an alternate universe where the angels had won the apocalypse. Trapped in there with her were alternate versions of characters previously killed in our reality, including Bobby Singer, Kevin Tran, and Charlie Bradbury. The quest to save Mary preoccupied the brothers for most of the season, culminating in a showdown with Lucifer and the alternate version of Michael, the archangel.
The DVD and Blu-ray sets of SUPERNATURAL contain a wealth of special features that will interest SUPERNATURAL fans — particularly those who are interested in the behind the scenes details.
- Deleted Scenes:The box set is littered with short deleted scenes from numerous episodes across the season.
- Audio Commentary: Two episodes get the audio commentary treatment in the season 13 box set. The first is “Wayward Sisters”, and the second is “Devil’s Bargain”, which features commentary from Jensen Ackles and his real-life wife (and now co-star) Danneel Ackles.
- The Making of “Scoobynatural”: The SUPERNATURAL producers, the episode’s writer and animators, and SUPERNATURAL actors Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki and Misha Collins talk about the making of this special episode. Cameras go behind the scenes into the recording booth where Ackles, Padalecki and Collins are voicing their characters for the episode. It’s fun to see the actors slip into their characters even as they’re just doing voiceovers. The writers of the spade also detail how this idea came to be — starting with an idea pitched years before from one of the writers.
- Into the Apocalypse: A World Without Winchesters: The SUPERNATURAL writers and producers talk about the introduction of the post-apocalyptic world in season 12. The producers flush out the world, explaining that the world is all about “conquest, and greed and chaos and complete disorder”. And the show’s actors, visual designers, costumer designers, and production designers talk about what it was like to bring the world to life on the series. Fans will get a chance to see the sand pits where the outdoor scenes were actually filmed. You’ll also get a real sense of what goes into production and costume design in a television show, which is always fascinating.
- The Winchester Mythology: Nature vs. Nurture: This featurette is about the age-old debate of nature versus nurture and is primarily focused on Jack. As Andrew Dabb explains in this featurette, nature versus nurture has been a big theme running through SUPERNATURAL, going back to how Sam might haved turned out in the earlier seasons. Now that debate is focused on Jack. As the spawn of Lucifer, Jack’s fate seems to be to become evil, but when he’s essentially “raised” by the Winchester brothers throughout the season there’s a decent chance for him to become good.
- Kansas: Carry on Wayward Son: In the summer of 2017, in San Diego, the band Kansas opened up SUPERNATURAL’s annual Comic-Con panel. Their song “Carry on Wayward Son” has become an anthem for the show, playing at the beginning of each season finale, and the band sung it in front of thousands of fans in the famous Hall H at SDCC. Being there, I can tell you that it was quite the experience. But if you didn’t get a chance to see it live then you can watch the performance on the box set.
- Supernatural: 2017 Comic-Con Panel: Like on past box sets, you can see the previous year’s San Diego Comic-Con panel, featuring the show’s writers and actors.
- Gag Reel: Saving the best for last, SUPERNATURAL’s gag reel is the stuff of legend, producing giggles thanks to this talented — and amusing — cast.
Pick up your own copy of the SUPERNATURAL Season 13 DVD and Blu-ray from Amazon. Digital versions of the season is available from various retailers including Amazon Prime Video, iTunes, PlayStation, Vudu, Xbox and others. A Digital Copy is also included with the purchase of specially marked Blu-ray discs for redemption and cloud storage.